It’s easy, delicious and perfect to serve to those just in case visitors!
3 whole Oranges
320g Almond Meal
1tsp Baking Powder
250g Caster Sugar
Flaked Almonds, toasted (to decorate)
1. Squeeze the juice from 1 orange and reserve 100mL to make the syrup.
2. Place the remaining 2 oranges in a pot of water and bring to the boil. Cover with lid and continue to boil oranges until soft (30-45 minutes). Drain off the water then puree oranges with a stick blender or food processor. Cool.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine and mix the almond meal, eggs, baking powder and 200g of sugar (keep 50g for the syrup). Only mix to a paste, avoiding aerating the mixture. Stir through the cooled orange purée.
5. Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Place cake tin on an insulated tray (you could use a piece of cardboard, wrapped with baking paper, placed in between the tray and cake tin). Bake for 1 ¾ – 2 hours.
6. While cake is in the oven proceed to make the syrup. Boil the reserved orange juice and 50g of sugar. Pour the syrup over the cake once out of the oven. Cool.
7. Finish cooled cake with boiled apricot jam and toasted flaked almonds.
Serves 16, based on 4cm wedges.