This seasonal dessert is great for entertaining because you can make some of the components of this recipe in advance, so that on the day, all you will need to do is grill the plums and serve!
Brown Sugar Grilled Plums
- 8 sweet firm plums, halved and pitted
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 2 tsp brown sugar
Vanilla Crème Fraiche
- 200ml Crème Fraiche
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Cinnamon Pistachio Crumb
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped coarsely
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
& Vegetable oil for grilling
- Pre-heat oven to 180°c (fan-forced)
- In a bowl, make pistachio crumb by first combining flour, caster sugar and cinnamon. Add butter, and using fingertips, rub together until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool. Use a fork, to break into crumbs if necessary. Once cooled, stir through pistachios and set aside.
- To make the caramel sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Whisk together the crème fraiche, icing sugar and vanilla until all combined. Set aside.
- For the plums, in a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, and brown sugar. Brush mixture all over flesh side of plums.
- Pre-heat grill pan on medium high and coat with a little oil.
- Grill plums, flesh side down, 5 minutes, until soft and caramalised.
- Serve plums with pistachio crumb and a quenelle of vanilla crème fraiche. Drizzle with caramel sauce
NOTE: You can make the pistachio crumb, Vanilla Crème Fraiche and the Caramel Sauce a day or two in advance. Just reheat your caramel sauce before serving!