Serves 6 | Prep Time: 35 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
This vegan-friendly eggplant salad is brought to life with bursts of pomegranate and fresh fennel. It’s a different way to serve this often ignored vegetable.
Special thanks to our mate Chef Jason Roberts.
6 Japanese eggplant (or 3 large eggplant)
1 teaspoon G-Fresh Sea Salt Flakes
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup coconut yoghurt
3 tablespoons Adobo sauce
1 pomegranate, seeds only
1 head baby fennel, washed well
1/2 bunch basil leaves
3 tablespoons dukkah
- Peel eggplants, leaving stem intact. Score eggplant, salt with G-Fresh sea salt and allow to sit for half an hour to drain excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Heat olive oil a frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Pat eggplant dry with paper towel. Place in frying pan and brown all sides.
- Transfer eggplant to oven tray and roast in over for 15-20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together coconut yoghurt, adobo sauce and juice of one lemon
- Thinly slice fennel. Squeeze juice of second lemon over the top, add a pinch of sea salt and crush together with clean hands.
- To assemble salad, lay a bed of the coconut adobo sauce on a platter or plate. Top with baked eggplant, fennel, pomegranate, dukkah and fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.