This alternate twist on the traditional pav, will be a wonderful surprise for your guests this Christmas!
6 egg whites, room temperature
1 ½ cups caster sugar
3 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsp corn flour
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tbs caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 passionfruit, halved
250g punnet strawberries, halved
150g cherries, stems left on
125g punnet blueberries
125g punnet raspberries
Fresh mint leaves
Grated vanilla bean
1. Pre-heat oven to 150ºC (fan-forced) and line a backing tray with baking paper. Lightly sprinkle the top of the baking paper with a little water.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, while the beaters are running, a little at a time, until the sugar has all dissolved and the egg whites are thick and glossy. Beat in the vanilla essence, corn flour and vinegar.
3. Spread mixture onto baking paper, to make a 7-8 cm high meringue shape.
4. Bake in oven at 150ºC (fan-forced) for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature down to 110ºC (fan-forced) and bake meringue for 1 hour. The meringue should be crisp and dry to touch. Leave to cool completely in oven.
6. In a mixing bowl and using electric beaters, beat cream, caster sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form.
7. To assemble, gently cut cooled meringue into pieces and place on a plate, alternating with chantilly cream. Decorate with the fruit and passionfruit pulp, including seeds. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and grated vanilla bean.
Serves 4 – 6