This delicious fruit filled pudding can be prepared at short notice as there is no need to pre-soak the dried fruit days in advance and the alcohol is replaced with orange juice making this pudding completely family friendly!
- 375g mixed fruit (used Sunbeam brand)
- 200g dried figs, finely chopped
- 150g prunes, chopped
- 100g plain flour
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 50g slivered almonds, chopped coarsely
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 200ml orange juice, unsweetened
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
You will need a 1.7 litre pudding basin with lid
- Grease pudding basin with butter
- Place mixed fruit and dried chopped figs into a saucepan. Add orange juice and vanilla essence. Simmer over medium heat until the fruit has plumped and absorbed a little of the liquid. This should take up to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the remainder of the ingredients, except the eggs and vegetable oil.
- Add the cooled steeped fruits, including all of the orange juice liquid then the eggs and vegetable oil. Stir until all combined.
- Pour mixture into the greased pudding basin. Cover with baking paper, making a pleat in the centre and tie around with string. Cover with foil then put on the lid. Place in a large saucepan with water halfway up the sides. Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat to low, put on saucepan lid and steam for four hours.