Pumpkin Carving is a quirky art and luckily for us, Jessica’s got this covered. She swept into our stores and gave us all a quick lesson in how to perfect the art of pumpkin carving.
Before you start your carvings, draw your picture on the pumpkin. If you’re not great at free-hand drawing, download a stencil and trace this on the pumpkin.
- Bobby pins are great tools when dealing with the edges of pumpkin carvings – the rounded end helps carve around the edges.
- Pick a pumpkin that’s fresh, with a sturdy stem and is not bruised.
- Choose a pumpkin with a flat bottom so it won’t roll
- Cut the lids on an angle to avoid the lid dropping inside the pumpkin
- Scoop out all the pulp – it will prolong the life of the carved pumpkin
- When carving your Halloween masterpiece, hold the pumpkin in your lap to avoid cutting on a slant. Make sure you cover your lap with a tea towel or wear an apron to protect your clothing! And be extra careful with sharp objects.
- Spread a little Vaseline on the cut edges to seal in the moisture
- If you pumpkin begins to shrivel, you can revive it by soaking in cold water for up to 8 hours.
When complete, be sure to show off your Pumpkin art!
Pumpkin art: completed by Drakes Team member, Mark Alford.