Bring joy to all tummies this Christmas with Western Star – more than butter!
Stuck on Christmas recipe ideas? Try Western Star’s Pistachio, raspberry white choc lamingtons!
Serves: 9 large lamingtons | Prep Time: 40 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
200g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
200g Chef’s Choice Unsalted Cultured Butter, softened
4 eggs, at room temperature
125ml milk, at room temperature
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla paste
Pinch of salt
White chocolate icing:
325g white chocolate, chopped
175ml Western Star Thickened Cream
225g shredded coconut
250ml Western Star Thickened Cream
100g raspberry jam
30g shelled raw pistachios, chopped
- For the cake, preheat oven to 180°c. Line a 20cm x 30cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Place all of the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare the white chocolate icing while the cake is in the fridge. Place the white chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of simmering water and stir to combine. When smooth, turn off the heat but leave the bowl on top of the pan, as it needs to be a little runny when assembling.
- For the filling, whisk the cream into stiff peaks.
- To assemble, level off the top of the cake with a bread knife until even. Cut the chilled cake into 18 pieces, approximately 6.5cm x 5cm. This is best done by cutting the cake lengthways into 3, then cutting each piece into 6.
- Place the coconut on a large plate and spread it out. Using 2 forks, gently dip a piece of cake into the icing and turn it until completely covered on all sides. Scrape off any excess icing and transfer it to the coconut. Spoon some coconut on top and carefully turn so that all sides are covered. Gently press the coconut in place. Place onto a cooking rack set over a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the icing to set.
- Place 9 lamingtons on a serving platter. Top with cream, jam and pistachios and then place another lamington on top. Serve at room temperature.
You can omit the pistachios for a nut-free version. For extra crunch, try roasting the shredded coconut. Other jams flavours also work well. Try apricot, strawberry or blackberry!