Serves 6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
This hearty plant-based Sicilian Chickpea Stew is big on flavour, not on budget! The key is in the spice. Experiment with seasonal vegetables to make this an all year-rounder – although its perfect as the weather gets cooler! Special thanks to our mate Chef Jason Roberts.
½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
2 Spanish (red) onion, diced
2 large carrot, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, peeled, leaves removed and diced
2 tablespoons G-Fresh fennel seeds
1 teaspoon G-Fresh hot smoked paprika
Juice and zest of one orange
½ cup dry white wine or verjuice
400g can chickpeas, drained
4 Roma tomatoes roughly chopped
1 large tin crushed tomatoes
6 large leaves of silverbeet, stalk removed and roughly shredded
½ bunch chopped parsley
G-Fresh Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and G-Fresh Fennel Seeds. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add G-Fresh Paprika, orange zest, juice and white wine. Cook until liquid is almost reduced – approximately 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, silverbeet and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, along with a dash of olive oil.
- Remove from heat. Allow to sit for 20 minutes before serving.